History

 

Bury Knowle House (left) was built in c.1800 by the Oxford goldsmith Joseph Lock as a country retreat.

Under the Headington Enclosure Award of 1804 Lock was granted just over six acres in Sheepcut Furlong to the south of the house (Plot 57), and this land became the park of his mansion. The ha-ha in front of the house protected the formal gardens from the animals that would have grazed in the park.

Thanks to Stephanie Jenkins (http://www.headington.org.uk ) for the pictures below.

1950s_swings

Swings – 1950s

1950s_bench

Bench – 1950s

1950s_slide

Slide – 1950s

Advertisements